Rice University logo Study Abroad
Home > Once Accepted > Travel Registration

Travel Registration

International SOS

Rice University requires all students participating in our study abroad programs register their travel prior to departure and while abroad using the International SOS Travel Locator service link located on the International SOS website. It is requested that you keep your trips up-to-date, including weekend trips by air or rail, so International SOS and Rice University can locate you in the event of an emergency. This also enables International SOS to send you important messages about medical and security concerns in your present location with suggestions on actions you should take.

You will be given your Rice International SOS membership card at the pre-departure orientation. Remember when you are traveling to always carry your card with you. It contains the Rice University’s membership number 11BYSG000011 and phone numbers to International SOS alarm centers.

Also, please visit the International SOS website to review the Rice University Global Assistance Program resources and complete your Personal Travel Record.

To learn more about Rice International SOS resources visit the Rice Risk Management website.

Registering with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Embassies exist to provide assistance to their citizens while abroad, including providing information about social and political events, health and safety concerns, and educational and cultural affairs. 

Rice Study Abroad recommends that all students traveling abroad register with their home country embassy or consulate in the destination of travel. That way, the local embassy/consulate will be aware of your presence and be able to assist you should an emergency arise. Should you encounter serious social, political, health, or economic problems, the embassy and/or consulate can usually offer limited assistance (e.g., contacting family in the event of emergency or serious illness, replacing a lost or stolen passport, trying to ensure that you are treated humanely under international conventions). Embassies and consulates cannot act as travel agencies, lend money, cash personal checks, arrange free medical service or legal advice, provide bail or get you out of jail, act as couriers or interpreters, search for missing luggage, or settle disputes with local authorities. Non-U.S. citizens should check with their embassy or consulate in the U.S. to find out what services will be available to them while abroad. 

U.S. citizens can register with the U.S. embassy or consulate in their host country through the Department of State’s secure online travel registration system. This registration service allows you to update your contact information at any time. The site also provides up-to-date travel information customized to your itinerary. The data you provide is accessible only by cleared personnel in embassies, consulates, and the Department of State, and releasable only with your permission under the provisions of the Privacy Act.

The U.S. State Department provides information on medical, financial, and legal issues while abroad, as well as  useful information about travel and residence in foreign countries.