Rice University logo Study Abroad
Home > While Abroad > Courses and Credits

While Abroad - Courses and Credits

Review the Credits and Transcripts section of our website (under "Academics") for complete information on courses, credits and transcripts, as well as the Study Abroad and Transfer Credit guidelines from the Office of the Registrar.  

  • Save Academic Work: Keep your syllabi, exams, copies of papers you have written, etc., if possible. Before awarding credit, transfer credit advisors or professors may want to review this work, as well as your program transcript, upon your return to Rice.
  • Undergraduate Request for Credit Transfer: Remember that, as part of your Rice application, you completed the Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form. On this form, courses were evaluated/pre-approved by your departmental Transfer Credit Advisor. This document is used to evaluate transfer of credit from your host program/institution to Rice. If you end up enrolling in different courses abroad, you should consult with your departmental transfer credit advisor while abroad to ensure that major/minor credit can be awarded for the new courses. You should also send an updated Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form to the Rice Study Abroad Office (Attn: Mrs. Mary Ward, Administrative Coordinator) by mail, fax or email.  
  • Study Abroad Transcript: Before you leave your host institution/program, please ensure your host university/program transcript will be sent directly to the Rice University Study Abroad Office upon completion of your program. The host university/program transcript should NOT be sent directly to the Registrar’s Office. Upon receipt and evaluation of the transcript, the Study Abroad Office will send it to the Office of the Registrar.

Please arrange for your program transcript to be sent to: 

Rice Study Abroad Office - MS539
Rice University
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, Texas 77251-1892