Rice University logo Study Abroad
Home > While Abroad > Preparing for Your Return to Rice

Preparing for Your Return to Rice

Transcript and Credit Questions
As noted in the Courses and Credits section, it is a good idea to keep copies of exams, syllabi, and papers for possible review by professors or transfer credit advisors upon your return from abroad.  Also remember that you filled out the Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form which was pre-approved by your Transfer Credit Advisor as part of your application. This document is part of the file used to evaluate your transfer of credit. If you end up enrolling in different courses (due to unavailability or scheduling issues, etc.), you should consult your transfer credit advisor while abroad to ensure that major/minor credit can be awarded for the new courses. You should also send an updated Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form to the Rice Study Abroad Office (Attn: Mrs. Mary Ward, Administrative Coordinator ) by mail, fax or email so your file can be kept up to date. 

Obtaining a Transcript
Before you leave your host institution, make sure that you make arrangements for an official copy of your transcript to be sent to our office - Rice Study Abroad Office, Rice University, P.O. Box 1892, Houston TX 77251-1892, U.S.A. The host university/program transcript should NOT be sent directly to the Registrar’s Office. We will send the official transcript to the Office of the Registrar upon our receipt and evaluation. Many students assume that a transcript will automatically be sent by the host university or provider. This is often not the case, so you must make transcript arrangements with your host university/provider. You may also want to obtain two or more personal copies of your foreign transcript. Obtaining official copies in the future may be difficult, and these would be needed if you transfer to another school for graduate or undergraduate work.

Registering for Next Semester at Rice
When registering for classes for your return semester at Rice while you abroad, you will follow the same procedure as if you were on the Rice campus. Follow the communication notices and advised registration dates as directed from the Office of the Registrar. Please see the Office of the Registrar's website for detailed information about the registration process.

Housing Registration
Rice University Housing Services wants to make the process as smooth as possible for you to return to your undergraduate residential college upon completion of your study abroad program. Please follow the instructions advised by Rice Undergraduate Housing to secure and confirm your return to the Rice residential system or consult with Rice Undergraduate Housing for further details or questions.