Rice University logo Study Abroad
Home > Travel Registration

Travel Registration

International SOS

Rice University requires all students participating in our study abroad programs register their travel prior to departure and while abroad with International SOS. It is requested that you keep your trips up-to-date, including weekend trips by air or rail, so International SOS and Rice University can locate you in the event of an emergency. This also enables International SOS to send you important messages about medical and security concerns in your present location with suggestions on actions you should take. International SOS is a important and valuable resource provided to all students studying abroad through Rice University.

Please visit the Registering with International SOS page to complete your registration.   

Remember when you are traveling to always carry your International SOS membership card with you. It contains the Rice University’s membership number 11BYSG000011 and phone numbers to International SOS alarm centers.

Also, please visit the International SOS Web site to review the Global Assistance Program resources and complete your Personal Travel Record

To learn more about Rice International SOS resources visit the Rice University Risk Management website and the Health and Safety International SOS page on our website.

Registering with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Embassies exist to provide assistance to their citizens while abroad, including providing information about social and political events, health and safety concerns, and educational and cultural affairs.

We recommend that all students travelling abroad register with the embassy or local consulate of their home countries so they will be aware of your presence and be able to assist you should an emergency arise. Should you encounter serious social, political, health, or economic problems, the embassy and/or consulate can usually offer limited assistance (for example, contacting family in the event of emergency or serious illness, replacing a lost or stolen passport, trying to ensure that you are treated humanely under international conventions). Non-U.S. citizens should check with their embassy or consulate in the U.S. to find out what services will be available to them while abroad.

U.S. citizens can register with the U.S. embassy or consulate in their host country through the Department of State’s secure online travel registration system. This registration service allows you to update your contact information at any time. The site also provides up-to-date travel information customized to your itinerary. The data you provide is accessible only by cleared personnel in embassies, consulates, and the Department of State, and releasable only with your permission under the provisions of the Privacy Act.

The U.S. State Department provides information on medical, financial, and legal problems while abroad (you can also call 888/407-4747). The U.S. Department of State website also has useful information about travel and residence abroad. "A Safe Trip Abroad" and "Tips for Traveling Abroad" may be of particular interest.

Embassies and consulates cannot act as travel agencies, lend money, cash personal checks, arrange free medical service or legal advice, provide bail or get you out of jail, act as couriers or interpreters, search for missing luggage, or settle disputes with local authorities.