Preparing To Return To Rice

Credit Transfer and Transcripts

For the purpose of obtaining final approval for transfer credit, students should plan to keep copies of exams, syllabi, papers, and other returned assignments for review by a transfer credit advisor upon your return to Rice.

If you enrolled in different courses than those listed on your Undergraduate Request for Transfer (URTC) Form, you should consult with your transfer credit advisor while abroad to ensure that major/minor credit can be awarded for the new courses. You should also send a new URTC Form to Rice Study Abroad; note that it may be necessary to meet with your transfer credit advisor again to complete a new form.

Obtaining a Transcript

Arrange for your transcript from your program to be sent to Rice Study Abroad (not to the registrar):

Rice University Study Abroad Office

MS 539, Ley Student Center, Suite #132

6100 Main Street

Houston TX, 77005


Transcripts are not always automatically sent by the host university/program provider, so you should plan to discuss transcript arrangements with your program. You may also want to obtain personal copies of your transcript, such as for use with graduate/professional school applications. Obtaining official copies after the program's conclusion may be more difficult.

School of Record (SOR) transcripts

For students studying abroad through a non-university program provider, Rice requires official transcripts from an SOR. Some programs charge an administrative fee for this option. In addition to your program's grade report or unofficial transcript, please make sure your SOR transcript is sent to Rice Study Abroad.

Transfer credit posting process

Please allow at least 6 weeks after your return for the the registrar to receive and process your host university/provider transcript. An email will be sent to your Rice email account from Rice Study Abroad when your transcript has been received. Be sure to check that the credits appear properly on your Rice transcript. Note that if the courses you take while abroad differ from those reported on your URTC Form, it will be necessary to contact your transfer credit advisor(s) and submit an additional URTC Form to Rice Study Abroad to obtain Rice-approved credit.

Registering for Courses

Students abroad will follow the same procedure for course registration as if you were on campus. Be sure to check your Rice email account for instructions from the registrar and note registration dates. Please review the registrar's website for detailed information about the registration process.

Housing Registration

Follow the instructions from your college coordinator and Housing & Dining to secure and confirm your return and on-campus housing.