Travel Registration

International SOS (ISOS)

Rice requires all study abroad participants to register their travel itinerary with ISOS prior to departure and while abroad. Students should keep their travel plans up to date, including weekend trips, so that ISOS can locate you in an emergency and send alerts about medical and security concerns in your area with suggested precautions or measures to take.

Remember when you are traveling to always carry your ISOS membership card with you. It lists the Rice’s membership number (11BYSG000011) and phone numbers to contact ISOS.

Visit the Rice University Risk Management website to learn more about ISOS resources.

Registering with Your Home Embassy or Local Consulate

Students traveling abroad should register with their home country's embassy/consulate in the destination of travel so that they will be aware of your presence and can assist you should an emergency arise. Should you encounter serious political, medical, legal, or financial emergencies, the embassy/consulate maybe be able to offer basic assistance (e.g. contacting family in the event of an emergency, replacing a lost or stolen passport, etc.). Embassies/consulates cannot act as travel agencies, couriers, or interpreters, lend money, cash personal checks, arrange free medical or legal services, provide bail or get you out of jail, recover missing luggage, or settle disputes with local authorities. Non-U.S. citizens should check with their embassy/consulate in the U.S. to find out what services are available to them while abroad.

U.S. citizens can register with the U.S. embassy or consulate in their host country through the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP provides up-to-date travel information customized to your itinerary and (with the creation of an account) allows you to modify your submitted information. The data you provide is private and only accessible only by embassu/consulate personnel and the Department of State.

The Department of State provides information on medical, financial, and legal problems, as well as useful information about travel and residence abroad.